Monday, January 27, 2014

Balsamic Tuna Salad


I'm sure you just read the title of this post and were not so sure about the flavor combo, but let me tell you something:  We are a dairy free and egg free house (among other things) and so tuna salad took a back burner for awhile.  Until I had the genius idea of adding vinegar to a can of fancy olive oil packed tuna.  Taste explosion!  It amazes me now that my kids will polish off a can of tuna each when I make this for them, and I think it is darn tasty, too.  Now all I have to do is find fancy olive oil packed tuna that isn't 3.29 a can!


Balsamic Tuna Salad

Serves two adults, or one adult and two kids, or two hungry kids.  Good thing it's easy to double!

2 cans (6 ounce size) tuna fish, packed in olive oil.  Trader Joe's carries a couple options and I have found one Italian import option at my local grocery store.
1 Tablespoon Dijon or yellow mustard
About 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, or more/less
salt and pepper to taste


Open cans of tuna and dump into a medium bowl, being sure to scrape out all the olive oil, too.  Break up chunks of fish with the back of a fork.  Add in the vinegar and mustard and combine lightly with the fork.  Taste for seasoning (This is the kids favorite part.  They love sprinkling in the salt and pepper and telling me to add more of this or that), and add salt and pepper to taste, and more vinegar if desired.

                                                    Big Sis helping make lunch


It is delicious in lettuce wraps, or on top of a salad with diced green apple, or scooped up with cucumber slices.  I serve it with all of those as well as black or green olives and carrot sticks, and cherry tomatoes if we have them.  The oldest only eats the tuna, the youngest eats (almost) everything.  This is absolutely something the kids help me make, they are more likely to eat it that way, too.


             I put some fresh chives and capers in mine, and had it with homemade crackers.  Yum!


This is so easy it almost isn't a recipe, but that is how we cook most of the time at our house; makes life easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment